Kayne Anderson Energy Infrastructure Fund, Inc.
To provide a high after-tax total return with an emphasis on making cash distributions to stockholders. KYN intends to achieve this objective by investing at least 80% of its total assets in securities of Energy Infrastructure Companies.
1) Payment date 7/5/23 (ex-date 6/23/23). We currently estimate that 10% of the distribution will be characterized as return of capital. This estimate is based on the fund’s anticipated earnings and profits. The final determination of the tax character of distributions will not be determinable until after the end of the fiscal year and may differ substantially from this preliminary information. (See Distributions section for more information).
2) Calculated by annualizing the most recent distribution amount paid divided by the closing market price. The distribution rate is subject to change and is not a quotation of fund performance.
Investment Opportunity Focused on North American Energy Infrastructure
- Opportunity for exposure to North American energy infrastructure sector through investments in traditional midstream, natural gas & LNG infrastructure, utilities, and renewable energy
- Energy infrastructure is the backbone of the global energy sector – access to affordable and reliable energy is critical to the global economy
- Energy infrastructure companies have contracted/regulated and stable cash flows (offering inflation protection) and operate businesses with increasingly high barriers to entry
Exposure to Energy Transition and Energy Security
- Opportunity to participate in durable megatrends – global decarbonization (energy transition) and energy security
- North American energy infrastructure companies are well positioned to benefit from (and capitalize on) both trends
Attractive Fund Structure
- Simplified tax reporting with a single Form 1099 (no K-1S)
- Suitable for IRAs, foundations, and tax-exempt accounts (no UBTI)
Share Price and NAV History
Premium/Discount to NAV
Total Return (NAV plus distributions)
Period Returns (Not Annualized)
Calendar Year Returns
3) Assumes that distributions have been reinvested at the Dividend Reinvestment Plan (DRIP) price.
Growth of Hypothetical $10,000 Investment4
4) The growth of $10,000 chart is a hypothetical illustration based upon the performance of the fund’s common shares since inception. Ending values as of the dates shown in the chart. Assumes reinvestment of distributions at the DRIP price, the deduction of management fees, operating expenses, and all other fund expenses but does not reflect transaction fees or broker commissions. Current performance may be lower or higher than the performance data quoted.
Returns reflect the deduction of management fees and expenses but do not reflect transaction fees or broker commissions. Performance data quoted represents past performance and is no guarantee of future results. The investment return and principal value of an investment will fluctuate so that an investor’s shares, when sold, may be worth more or less than their original cost. Current performance may be lower or higher than that shown based on market fluctuations from the end of the reported period.
Top 10 Holdings
Note: Includes ownership of equity and debt investments.
*Includes ownership of Plains All American Pipeline, L.P. (PAA) and Plains AAP, L.P. (PAGP-AAP).
Reflected as a percentage of long-term investments. Portfolio holdings and/or sector allocations are subject to change at any time, without notice, and are not recommendations to buy or sell any security. You can obtain a complete listing of holdings by viewing our quarterly or annual report for the most recently completed period.
Annual Distributions per Calendar Year
* Based on year-to-date distributions paid or declared.
The amount of distributions is not guaranteed and may vary depending on a number of factors, including changes in portfolio holdings and market conditions.
Tax Character of Distributions
Our distributions are treated as a taxable dividend (qualified dividends) to our common stockholders to the extent of our current and accumulated earnings and profits. If the distribution exceeds our current or accumulated earnings and profits, the distribution will be treated as a return of capital to our common stockholders to the extent of each stockholder’s basis in our common stock, and then the amount of a distribution in excess of such stockholder’s basis would be taxed as capital gain. Because the cash distributions received from the MLPs in our portfolio are expected to exceed the earnings and profits associated with owning such MLPs, a portion of our distributions may be paid from sources other than our current and accumulated earnings and profits. Common stockholders will receive a Form 1099-DIV from us, sample forms for each year can be found within the Tax Information section of this page.
The table below summarizes the tax character of our distributions for the past ten years.
Information on Tax Character of Distributions
5) This estimate is based on the fund’s anticipated earnings and profits. The final determination of the tax character of distributions will not be determinable until after the end of the fiscal year and may differ substantially from this preliminary information.
KYN uses leverage in the form of unsecured notes, preferred stock, and revolving bank facilities to acquire portfolio investments consistent with its investment objective and strategies. We currently utilize leverage in an amount that represents approximately 20% to 25% of the fund’s total assets, but the amount of leverage we utilize can vary based on market conditions.
*KYN will pay a fixed interest rate of 1.735% on $25 million of the Term Loan. The remaining $25 million of the Term Loan will accrue interest daily at a rate of SOFR plus 1.40%. Amounts repaid under the Term Loan cannot be reborrowed.
- Other Material Documents
- Dividend Reinvestment Plan
- Expense Ratios
Term Loan Facility
- $235 million Series DD to GG Notes Purchase Agreement dated 4/16/13
- Series EE to GG Notes Purchase Amendment dated 11/5/20
- $140 million Series II to KK Notes Purchase Agreement dated 4/30/14
- Series JJ to KK Notes Purchase Amendment dated 11/5/20
- $200 million Series LL to OO Notes Purchase Agreement dated 10/29/14
- Series MM to OO Notes Purchase Amendment dated 11/5/20
- Series PP and QQ Notes Purchase Agreement dated 5/11/21
- $90 million Series RR to SS Notes Purchase Agreement dated 5/18/22
- Series PP Notes Amendment dated 5/23/23
Mandatory Redeemable Preferred Shares (MRPS)
Dividend Reinvestment Plan
- Quarterly and Annual Reports
- Proxy Statements
- 05/31/2023 KYN Q2 2023 Semi-Annual Report
- 02/28/2023 KYN Q1 2023 Quarterly Report
- 11/30/2022 KYN 2022 Annual Report
- 08/31/2022 KYN Q3 2022 Quarterly Report
- 05/31/2022 KYN Q2 2022 Semi-Annual Report
- 02/28/2022 KYN Q1 2022 Quarterly Report
- 11/30/2021 KYN 2021 Annual Report
- 08/31/2021 KYN Q3 2021 Quarterly Report
- 05/31/2021 KYN Q2 2021 Semi-Annual Report
- 02/28/2021 KYN Q1 2021 Quarterly Report
- 11/30/2020 KYN 2020 Annual Report
- 08/31/2020 KYN Q3 2020 Quarterly Report
- 05/31/2020 KYN 2020 Semi-Annual Report
- 02/29/2020 KYN Q1 2020 Quarterly Report
- 11/30/2019 KYN 2019 Annual Report
- 08/31/2019 KYN Q3 2019 Quarterly Report
- 05/31/2019 KYN 2019 Semi-Annual Report
- 02/28/2019 KYN Q1 2019 Quarterly Report
- 11/30/2018 KYN 2018 Annual Report
- 08/31/2018 KYN Q3 Quarterly Report
- 05/31/2018 KYN 2018 Semi-Annual Report
- 02/28/2018 KYN Q1 2018 Quarterly Report
- 11/30/2017 KYN 2017 Annual Report
- 08/31/2017 KYN Q3 2017 Quarterly Report
- 05/31/2017 KYN 2017 Semi-Annual Report
- 02/28/2017 KYN Q1 2017 Quarterly Report
- 11/30/2016 KYN 2016 Annual Report
- 08/31/2016 KYN Q3 2016 Quarterly Report
- 05/31/2016 KYN 2016 Semi-Annual Report
- 02/29/2016 KYN Q1 2016 Quarterly Report
- 2023 Combined KYN and KMF Proxy Statement
- 2022 Combined KYN and KMF Proxy Statement
- 2021 Combined KYN and KMF Proxy Statement
- 2020 KYN Special Proxy Statement
- 2020 Combined KYN and KMF Proxy Statement
- 2019 Combined KYN and KMF Proxy Statement
- 2018 KYN/KED Joint Proxy Statement/Prospectus
- 2017 Combined KYN and KYE Proxy Statement
- 2016 Combined KYN and KYE Proxy Statement
- Sample Forms 1099-DIV (Common)
- Form 8937
- Sample Forms 1099-DIV (Preferred)
- KYN 2022 Form 1099-DIV
- KYN 2021 Form 1099-DIV
- KYN 2020 Form 1099-DIV
- KYN 2019 Form 1099-DIV
- KYN 2018 Form 1099-DIV
- KYN 2017 Form 1099-DIV
- KYN 2016 Form 1099-DIV
- KYN 2015 Form 1099-DIV
- KYN 2014 Form 1099-DIV
- KYN 2013 Form 1099-DIV
- KYN 2012 Form 1099-DIV
- KYN 2011 Form 1099-DIV
- KYN 2010 Form 1099-DIV
- KYN 2009 Form 1099-DIV
- KYN 2008 Form 1099-DIV
- KYN 2007 Form 1099-DIV
- KYN 2006 Form 1099-DIV
- KYN 2005 Form 1099-DIV
- KYN 2020 Form 1099-DIV (Series F Preferred)
- KYN 2019 Form 1099-DIV (Series F Preferred)
- KYN 2018 Form 1099-DIV (Series F Preferred)
- KYN 2017 Form 1099-DIV (Series F Preferred)
- KYN 2016 Form 1099-DIV (Series E Preferred)
- KYN 2016 Form 1099-DIV (Series F Preferred)
- KYN 2016 Form 1099-DIV (Series G Preferred)
- KYN 2015 Form 1099-DIV (Series E Preferred)
- KYN 2015 Form 1099-DIV (Series F Preferred)
- KYN 2015 Form 1099-DIV (Series G Preferred)
- KYN 2014 Form 1099-DIV (Series E Preferred)
- KYN 2014 Form 1099-DIV (Series F Preferred)
- KYN 2014 Form 1099-DIV (Series E Preferred)
- KYN 2013 Form 1099-DIV (Series D Preferred)
- KYN 2013 Form 1099-DIV (Series E Preferred)
- KYN 2013 Form 1099-DIV (Series F Preferred)
- KYN 2013 Form 1099-DIV (Series G Preferred)
- KYN 2012 Form 1099-DIV (Series D Preferred)
- KYN 2012 Form 1099-DIV (Series E Preferred)
- KYN 2011 Form 1099-DIV (Series D Preferred)
- William R. Cordes, Director
- Anne K. Costin, Director
- Barry R. Pearl, Director
- Albert L. Richey, Director
- William H. Shea, Jr., Director (Lead Independent)*
- Carita Walker, Director
- Caroline Winn, Director
- Jim Baker, Chairman of the Board of Directors, President, and Chief Executive Officer
Second Amended and Restated Bylaws
Code of Ethics
Voting Policies and Procedures
*Role as the KYN and KMF lead independent director effective April 2, 2020.
Performance data quoted represent past performance as of the stated date herein. Past performance is not a guarantee of future results. Current performance may be lower or higher than that shown based on market fluctuations from the end of the reported period. Closed-end funds, unlike open-end funds, are not continuously offered. After the initial public offering, shares are sold on the open market through a stock exchange. As with any other stock, total return and market value will fluctuate so that an investment, when sold, may be worth more or less than its original cost. Shares of closed-end funds frequently trade at a market price that is below their net asset value.
All investments involve risk, including possible loss of principal. An investment in the fund could suffer loss. The fund’s concentration of investments in the energy and infrastructure industries subjects it to greater risk and volatility than a diversified fund. Risks include, but are not limited to, those associated with energy infrastructure companies, midstream companies, renewable infrastructure companies, including the risks of declines in energy and commodity prices, decreases in energy demand, adverse weather conditions, natural or other disasters, changes in government regulation, and changes in tax laws. Leverage creates risks that may adversely affect return, including the likelihood of greater volatility of net asset value and market price of common shares and fluctuations in dividend rates on any preferred shares, and increases a shareholder’s risk of loss. Before investing in the fund, you should consider the investment objective, risks, charges, and expenses of the fund, which, together with other important information, are included in the fund’s most recent prospectus and other filings with the SEC available here or at www.sec.gov. There can be no assurance that the fund’s investment objective will be attained.
This site is provided for informational purposes only and does not constitute an offer to sell or a solicitation to buy, nor shall there be any sale of any securities in any jurisdiction in which such offer or sale is not permitted. Nothing contained on this site constitutes tax, legal or investment advice. Investors must consult their tax advisor or legal counsel for advice and information concerning their particular situation.
NOT FDIC INSURED | NO BANK GUARANTEE | MAY LOSE VALUE